5 Hot Pot Ingredients for an Epic Chinese New Year of Traditions
As winter falls onto Hong Kong, bringing with it snaps of northern cold winds, Entrée Grocer team is all ready to warm up the atmosphere in preparation for Chinese New Year celebrations with our must-have hot pot ingredients.
For the hardcore foodies among us there’s still time left to enjoy informal BBQs around a friendly hot fire, while “hot pot meals” present a great opportunity for many others to make the transition into cozier settings…
Regardless of the weather, occasion or festivity, Asians like to dine all year round with family and friends sharing a pot of steaming hot broth or steamboat, while cooking a variety of ingredients, and during the Chinese New Year period, it is common for families in Hong Kong to organise reunion lunches or reunion dinners over steamboat with the best ingredients they love.
“Steamboat meals”, also commonly known as “hotpot” or shabu-shabu (depending on your cultural preference), descends from the original Chinese translation for “reunion” or “團圓” in mandarin and Chinese dialects. It also connotes to a “group” and “round”. Hot pots hold a special significance in Chinese food culture because it represent family bonding, and gathering around for a meal.
Following Chinese traditional culture, the eve of CNY is the best opportunity to share and enjoy delicacies around a delicious succulent broth; family members of all ages come together for a hearty reunion dinner. It also provides good opportunity to share stories and advice among closed ones.
The Entrée Grocer team provides an easy solution to make CNY a memorable event of epic proportions!
1. A Classic Hot Pot Broth
The broth is the backbone of your steamboat meal that fuels your party. Hence, do ensure you have enough of it for refilling the pot when needed.
The broth should stay light and tingly as it will develop more while everyone is sharing and dipping in it. We hope this superb classic broth will make every shabu shabu hot pot meal with your family and loved ones an epic get-together.
Classic Hot Pot Broth:
For 6 people and suitable for use with meat and seafood
- 6 liters of water
- 3 dry shiitake mushrooms
- Use a choice of meat or fish: 500g pork ribs / 600g fish bones / 600g chicken bones / 300g dry fish flakes- seasoning as salt and pepper
- seasoning as salt and pepper
- 1 piece kelp or dry seaweed
- 10g sesame oil
- Spices such as chilli and herbs of your choice.
- Bring the water to simmer with the mushrooms and kelp for at least 10 minutes
- Add the meat or fish choice and simmer for 40mins
- Add sesame oil, spices and seasoning.
- Stir and serve.
List of Quality Hot Pot Ingredients:
Entrée Grocer has a recommended selection of prime ingredients ready for dipping for all our meat lovers and seafood fans.
2. Meat Selection
– Kurobuta pork (cut into thin slices for shabu shabu; order
US Kurobuta Pork Loin)
– Lamb Shabu Shabu (order the New Zealand Lamb Shabu Shabu)
– Free range chicken (marinate with light soy sauce and pepper, and cut into strips; order
NZ Free Range Chicken Breast)
– Australian Wagyu beef (cut into slices for Shabu Shabu; order Australia Wagyu M5 Beef Shabu Shabu)
3. Seafood Selection
– Salmon Fillet (cut into slices for sashimi on the side or for steamboat; order Norweigian Salmon Fillet)
– Scallops (order Large Size Hokkaido Scallops)
– Canadian Shrimps for sashimi on the side (order the Sashimi grade Canadian Botan shrimps)
– Mussels (order NZ Live Green Shell Mussels)
4. Vegetable Selection
– Shiitake Mushrooms
– Inoki Mushrooms
– Fatt Choy
– Pak Choy
– Black Fungus
5. Choice of Dipping Sauces and Condiments
Everyone has a favourite hot pot dipping sauce recipe. Therefore, your epic Chinese New Year reunion hot pot spread calls for a dipping sauce and condiment sideboard so your guests can create their own favourites.
Any of these could be part of your spread:
- Light/Dark soya sauce
- Black vinegar
- Sesame oil
- White sesame seed, toasted
- Fermented tofu
- Fermented bean sauce
- Oyster sauce
- Smashed salted peanuts
- Dry chili flakes
- Red fresh chillies, chopped
- Spring onions/scallions, chopped
- Raw garlic, diced
- Coriander, chopped
Remember, a sumptuous food spread to usher in the lunar New Year is important to begin the year on a good note!
You are guaranteed the best global-sourced premium meats and seafood items and timely delivery from us, so be sure to check out our lunar festive offers. Besides ordering the main items, get ready fresh vegetables for those who enjoy some greens in their steamboat broth.
On behalf of the entire crew at Entrée Grocer, we wish all our customers a lucky and prosperous Year of the Dog and Gong Hei Fatt Choy!